Regular dental exams and checkups are fundamental if you want to maintain your long-term oral health. According to the American Dental Association (ADA), you should visit a dental clinic for a routine dental checkup at least twice a year.
At The Dental Design Studios in Houston, Texas, our experienced team offers comprehensive dental care services, including dental exams and checkups.
What Happens During a Dental Exam and Checkup?
During a dental exam and checkup, the dentist will:
- Check both your oral and overall health
- Determine your risk of tooth decay, root decay, gum disease, or jawbone issues
- Check whether you have bite problems or jaw-related issues
- Identify the need for tooth restoration or replacement
- Assess the need for additional fluoride intake
- Perform X-rays, if required
- Remove stains and plaque deposits from the teeth
- Instruct you on proper cleaning techniques for your teeth or restorations
The dentist will also ask you about any medications you are taking and perform an oral cancer screening.
Why Are Dental Exams and Checkups Important?
Routine dental exams and checkups protect both your oral and overall health. They help detect the early signs and symptoms of dental problems as well as systemic diseases like rheumatoid, arthritis, lupus, and diabetes.
Why Are Twice-a-Year Appointments Necessary?
It is essential to see your dentist twice a year for a dental exam and checkup as they:
- Enable the dentist to detect problems that you may not see or feel
- Help the dentist address early signs of decay or gum disease and prevent them from advancing
- Help manage and address oral problems in time
After your dental exam and checkup, the dentist will present the results and discuss with you about your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, or other oral problems.
The dentist will also take preventive measures to improve and protect your oral health. Based on the results of the dental exam and checkup, they might also recommend follow-up visits.
For more on the importance of dental exams and checkups, contact The Dental Design Studios at (713) 468-5800 or visit us at 8391 Westview Drive, Houston, TX 77055.