Gum disease, also known as periodontitis, is a severe gum infection that damages the soft tissues in the mouth and destroys the bone that supports the teeth if left untreated. It is caused by poor oral hygiene and can lead to tooth loss.
Gum disease is a common dental problem that is completely preventable but also treatable. Our experienced team at The Dental Design Studios in Houston, Texas, offers advanced gum disease preventive treatments and procedures and can help restore your soft tissues and your smile if you suffer from periodontitis.
Symptoms of Gum Diseases
Your gums are healthy if they are firm, pale pink, and fit snugly around the teeth. However, if you have gum disease, you might experience the following signs and symptoms:
- Swollen or puffy gums
- Bad breath
- Gums that are bright, dusky red, or purplish
- Bleeding gums
- You spit blood when brushing or flossing your teeth
- Pus formed between the teeth and gum
- Gums that are tender to the touch
- Lost or loose teeth
- Pain when chewing
- Space developed between the teeth
Causes of Gum Diseases
Gum disease generally occurs due to plaque accumulation. Plaque is a sticky film containing harmful bacteria that sets on the teeth. If not removed, plaque can lead to the following complications:
- Severe plaque accumulation on the teeth
- Plaque that has hardened into the gum line, forming tartar that can only be removed professionally
- Gingivitis that causes gum inflammation or irritation
- Periodontitis that is an advanced stage of gum disease and can cause tooth loss
Gum Disease Treatment
The first step in addressing gum disease is to identify it. The dentist will perform an oral exam looking for signs and symptoms of periodontitis. During the process, the dentist will also:
- Review your medical history
- Examine your mouth for plaque or tartar accumulation
- Measure the depth of the pockets created by gum disease
- Take dental X-rays to check whether the jawbone has been affected
The main aim of gum disease treatments is to remove plaque and tartar accumulations, clean the pockets around the teeth thoroughly, and prevent any damage to the surrounding teeth or jawbone.
Gum disease treatments can include non-surgical procedures like scaling and root planing or antibiotics or surgical treatments like flap surgery, soft tissue graft, bone grafting, guided tissue regeneration, etc.
For more on the gum disease treatments, contact The Dental Design Studios at (713) 468-5800 or visit us at 8391 Westview Drive, Houston, TX 77055.