Maintaining good oral hygiene is one of the best ways to ensure long-term dental and overall health. Oral or dental hygiene includes practices that help you properly take care of your teeth and gums.
When you maintain good oral hygiene, you prevent dental issues, keep your teeth bright and strong, and have fresh breath.
Our experienced team at The Dental Design Studios in Houston, Texas, provides a wide range of dental care services and also educates patients on how to maintain their oral hygiene at home.
Instructions for Good Oral Hygiene
Here is how you can practice good oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth for two to three minutes twice a day to eliminate food and plaque deposits from the teeth. Plaque is the main reason for dental problems like tooth decay or gum disease.
- Use a manual or electric toothbrush to brush your teeth and brush using a circular motion instead of going back and forth.
- Brush your teeth using fluoride toothpaste as it helps eliminate decay and strengthens the teeth.
- Avoid rinsing your mouth with water immediately after brushing your teeth to maintain the protective layer of fluoride. You can spit the excess toothpaste instead.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months or when you notice that its bristles have become splayed or worn-out.
- Along with brushing, flossing your teeth once a day is essential. It reaches and cleans the areas between the teeth that are difficult to access using a toothbrush. Flossing can reduce your risk of gum disease and bad breath.
- Always rinse your mouth with fluoride mouthwash or chew sugar-free gum after meals or snacks if you cannot brush your teeth.
If Bleeding or Swelling Occur
If you notice bleeding, pain, tenderness, or swelling in your gums, see your dentist immediately. The dentist can treat the underlying issue and will instruct you on how to maintain good oral hygiene at home. They can also demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques and recommend products and possible treatment options.
For more on the importance of oral hygiene, contact The Dental Design Studios at (713) 468-5800 or visit us at 8391 Westview Drive, Houston, TX 77055.